SB2654 (Flu Education Bill)
ASSIGNED: House Elementary & Secondary Education Committee
HEARING: Thursday May 17th 2018 @ 9am
Complete Witness Slip & Call to Oppose
Sign WITNESS SLIP Here
Witness Slip Tips:
- Under Firm/Business and under Title - "SELF"
- Under Persons, groups firms represented in this appearance - "IC4IC" or "SELF"
- Select "OPPONENT"
- Select "RECORD OF APPEARANCE ONLY"
Call HOUSE SPONSOR: Representative Noreen Hammond
Springfield (217) 782-0416
District (309) 836-2707
Call HOUSE CO-SPONSOR: Representative Laura Fine
Springfield (217) 782-4194
District (847) 998-1717
Call YOUR REPRESENTATIVE Here
(It's important that Representatives are made aware of the history of this bill so they can vote accordingly. Ask them to vote NO)
TALKING POINTS TO OPPOSE SB2654:
- VOTE NO on SB 2654 because it amends the School Code to require schools to push flu vaccine information on families. The flu vaccine is not required in Illinois. Schools should not be in the business of marketing vaccines.
- SB 2654 is completely unnecessary because Illinois State law, 105 ILCS 5/27-8.1 already requires children in kindergarten, 6th and 9th grades to have a physical examination before school entry where doctors educate parents of school aged children on vaccines and diseases.
- Information and incentives regarding flu and flu vaccine are readily available in commercial settings everywhere at doctors’ offices, grocery stores and pharmacies that give vaccines.
- Information regarding flu and the flu vaccine is widely available from both the state and federal government. The Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) already has a very detailed flu and flu vaccine page with dozens of free resource links and printable materials from the State Health Department, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC.)
- This bill has been STRONGLY opposed (with 951 witness slips in the most recent hearing.) This opposition is requesting SB2654 to be amended to remove reference to the School Code.
Short Description: HOME BIRTH CRISIS COMMITTEE
Senate Hearing! We need witness slips for SJR 67, our recently-filed resolution to force the development of agreed language to form a bill to license CPMs! The hearing is scheduled for Wednesday, May 2, 2018 at 3pm. We have up until that time to get slips in.
Please sign your slip ASAP!
Please sign, ask your family members to sign also, and share with friends to ask them to support finding a solution to the home birth maternity care provider crisis.
Fill out a witness slip below as a 'Proponent'. Takes only a minute!
Witness Slip Tips:
- Under Firm/Business and under title please put: "SELF"
- Under 'Persons, groups firms represented in this appearance'
- Write, "IC4IC" or "SELF:
- Select 'Proponent'
- Select 'Record of Appearance only'